Did you know one of the easiest ways to boost your energy is drinking water? Our bodies are comprised of about 50-65% water. When we don’t drink enough water, there are a number of functions that start to suffer.
The usual side effects of dehydration are dry mouth and thirst. And you can also look out for other signs of mild to severe dehydration (in that order) such as:
- Low energy, fatigue and loss of muscle strength and endurance
- Hunger (oftentimes can mean you are just really thirsty)
- Headaches and decrease in memory and brain function
- Decrease or no output of urine or urine that is dark, strong smelling or burning
- Low blood pressure
- Tachycardia or rapid heart rate
So how much water should you be drinking? An easy way to calculate how much water to drink is to take your weight and divide that number in half to get the number of ounces to drink each day.
So if you weigh 160 pounds, half of that is 80. So that’s 80 ounces. One cup of water is 8 ounces, so that’s 10 8 ounce glasses of water a day.
How do I increase my daily water consumption?
Easy! Just try these 7 tips for drinking more water:
- Drink 1 – 2 glasses of water first thing in the morning
- Keep a pitcher filled with filtered water for you to drink throughout the day in your fridge at home or on your desk at work
- Drink 8 oz of water before exercise
- Sip small amounts of water from your water bottle during exercise
- Keep glass bottles of water in your car, at the office, by your bed
- Add slices of fresh lemon, orange, cucumber or strawberry to your water or fresh mint
- Add Emergen-C to sparkling water for a fun twist on taste, or try iced herbal teas throughout the day
If you are on the go, know how much water you are drinking by buying a cute water bottle and know how many ounces it holds. Then you’ll know how many times to refill that during the day. Bed, Bath & Beyond has a variety of 24 oz water bottles with a variety of designs to match your personality! I have one that says, “Live, Laugh & Love.” I have another that has beautiful pink blossoms on it and I have another with abstract designs.