Life isn’t always what you expect it to be, is it? When the results you hope for don’t manifest, do you ever start questioning your self-worth or your abilities? Whether you wanted to lose weight, stick with your exercise program, or switch jobs to lower your stress, when your goal doesn’t happen, it can send the best of us into feeling discouraged.
The good news is that you can shift any feelings of discouragement into positive feelings!
Whenever you’re down in the dumps, it’s important that you first acknowledge where you are at. Then take some type of action to move you out of that state. Years ago I read something about giving myself a certain period of time to feel bad, or sad, or discouraged. Set a timer and sink right into all those emotions. But when that timer goes off, do something different to shake off those feelings.
Dwelling on the negative and remaining in a depressed state is unhealthy. After a while, you’ll feel like you’re moving backward instead of forward. This makes it challenging to get back to a positive mindset and to restore your belief in yourself.
Here are 4 easy tips to feel better about yourself:
1. Reflect on past successes. If you’re honest with yourself, you’ll begin to realize that you’ve enjoyed many successes in the past.
- Reflect on how great you felt when you earned something you worked extremely hard for.
- Think about the impact you’ve had on your peers when you accomplished something that they all would’ve loved to accomplish themselves.
- Remember all the special things you have done for those you love.
2. Know that you’re uniquely created. You have a special blend of talents, abilities, personality, appearance, and purpose that is different from everyone else on the planet. There is no one else like you and that’s a wonderful thing!
- Remember times in the past when you came up with your own solution to a challenge that made things better for you or those around you.
- Since you’re the only person like you around, why not focus on your unique abilities and put those to work to evoke positive change in your life? Setting your new ideas in motion will go a long way toward restoring your self-confidence.
- Don’t compare yourself to everyone else. You are unique and while others have their own strengths, focus on YOU and all the wonderful gifts and talents you were given.
3. Do something you’re good at. A sure way to boost how you feel about yourself is to do something you already know you’re good at. Having even a small success is a great way to build reassurance and focus on the positive.
- It’s okay to need that self-reassurance from time to time. It’s can be challenging just to juggle everything you have to do. Don’t let outside influences to dampen your drive. Remind yourself that you’re a star in a part of the sky where nobody else shines quite as bright.
- Proving to yourself that you can do something often gives you just enough motivation to get past that rough patch.
4. Make someone else feel special. Making a positive impact on someone else’s life is one of the most empowering and uplifting experiences you can have!
- Try volunteering at a local agency that helps those less fortunate than you. So many lives need a caring touch. Taking the opportunity to help them will enable you to feel that much more worthy.
- Encouraging another person who lacks self-esteem can bring the kind of inner satisfaction which allows you to see your own true purpose. In fact, you may sometimes forget about your own hardships for a while because you’re so focused on helping someone else overcome theirs.
- Something as simple as a smile or a compliment given to a complete stranger can brighten their day and make you feel so much better.
Dwelling on any negative feelings about yourself is a waste of precious time. Instead, celebrate all the great qualities you have inside and share those with the world. Take the time to reflect on your blessings and you’ll begin to see for yourself how awesome and special you really are.